FAQ's about St John Weddings

Anne Marie left her body on August 5, 2022.

To honor Anne Marie’s memory she requested you go to your local shelter and adopt a dog or cat.



Frequently asked questions about St John Weddings
in the US Virgin Islands

  • What is the difference between Anne Marie Porter and the other wedding coordinators?
    She gives you the information that they charge you for. Anne Marie puts you directly in touch with the people who will be so important on your wedding day (photographer, videographer, florist, musician, caterer, bakery, etc.). This way you can speak to them and their fees are not inflated as they are if booked by other wedding coordinators.
  • How much is your package?
    Five hundred dollars.
  • What does your $500.00 include?
    Everything you need to be legally married, in a personalized way, in a gorgeous location. (Officiant, location, witnesses, and two certified copies of the certificate of marriage). Wedding Ceremony and wedding location. It also includes unlimited consultations with Anne Marie and names, phone numbers, websites of any needed vendors (Photographer, videographer, florist, musician, caterer, bakery, etc.). Most importantly it includes personalized guidance by a 35 year resident of St. John who really cares about you.
  • Does the $500 include the marriage license?
    No, you pay that $200 to the court.
    It does include the application which can be downloaded from this site. The USVI courts are now accepting marriage applications and payments online. You can register here to create an account then, once you have your account, go here to complete the forms. Updated forms have been made available online as well as updated FAQs to assist with this new e-file option. The forms and FAQs can be found here to log in  and if you have questions on e-filing you can find answers here. It does include a certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage from the Superior Court, after your wedding.
  • Once you are on island a quick trip to the court house will be required to pick up your marriage licence by the bride and groom only.
  • Is it legal?
    Yes. This is America, and your marriage is recognized worldwide. After your wedding, Anne Marie will file your paperwork with the Superior Court and mail you a certified copy of your certificate of marriage.
  • Are their location fees?
    No. I have already paid the site fees for you to be married on any national park beach or sugar mill ruins. If you want Anne Marie to come to your villa or sailboat for your wedding, there is no additional fee.
  • How long do we have to be there before we can get married?
    You can pick up your marriage license the day you arrive. The marriage license office is on the same highway as the airport, on St. Thomas. Remember to mail your marriage license application so the court has it for at least 8 days before you arrive.
  • When is the court open so we can pick up our marriage license?
    The court is open Mon. – Fri. 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
  • Is There A Dress Code When We Pick Up Our Marriage License At The Court?
    Yes, there is. Do not wear shorts or flip-flops, sandals, or a sleeveless dress or shirt.
  • Do we get a refund if we cancel our wedding?
  • But what if we break up … there is a hurricane that destroys the island…there is a pandemic that blocks us from visiting the island…there is an alien invasion that makes air travel dangerous? 

Frequently Asked Questions

Please note that this schedule can be subject to change.

The court is CLOSED:

  • New Years Day – Jan. 1 (Closed)
  • Three Kings Day – Jan. 6 (Closed)
  • Martin Luther King Day – (9:30 am-11: 30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Presidents Day – (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Transfer Day – 9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Holy Thursday –  (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Good Friday –  (Closed)
  • Easter Monday –  (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • St Thomas Food Fair –  Fair Day – open 8:a.m. to Noon
  • Carnival –   Jouvert  – open 8 am to Noon
  • ST Carnival –  – Children’s Parade (Closed)
  • Carnival – – Adults Parade (Closed)
  • Memorial Day –  (Closed)
  • VI Emancipation Day – July 3 (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Independence Day – July 4 (Closed)
  • Labor Day –  (Closed)
  • Columbus Day –  (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • D. Hamilton Jackson Day – Nov 1 (9:30 am-11:30 am) $150.00 Additional Fee
  • Veterans Day – Nov 11 (Closed)
  • Thanksgiving Day – Nov 25 and 26 (Closed)
  • Christmas Eve – Dec 24 open 8 am to Noon
  • Christmas Day – Dec 25 (Closed)
  • Boxing Day – Dec 26 (Closed)
  • Old Year’s Eve – Dec 31 open 10 am to Noon
  • New Years Day – Jan 1, 2023 (Closed)

In addition, you can phone the Court to find the date closed Ph: (340) 774-6680


Information on getting married in the USVI

  • On the marriage license application where it says “Parents Name” what should we do?
    Put your fathers’ name first and your mothers’ name below it. Do “Place of Birth” the same way.
    On the marriage license application, what does “Related to other Applicant” mean?
    Are you related by blood to each other? I hope your answer is no.
    And where it says “In what degree?”
    write not applicable
  • What does “certified copy of divorce decree” mean?
    It means to phone the court where your divorce was issued and ask them to send you a certified copy (stamped with their raised seal) of your divorce decree. This is not notarized, it is certified.
  • Can our certified copy of the divorce decree be from vital statistics?
    Nope. It must be from the court where your divorce was issued and stamped with that court’s raised seal.
  • What if we have been divorced more than once? Do we have to send all past divorce decrees?
    No, just your most recent divorce decree.
  • Do we sign the marriage license application?
  • Should we have the marriage license application notarized?
Click Here for a Sample Application

Answers for your St John Wedding

  • Do we have to mail both forms – Application for Marriage License and License and Certificate of Marriage?
    Yes, type in and mail both forms.
  • What is the 8-day posting requirement?
    The marriage license office wants your marriage license application & all required paperwork at least 8 days before you pick up the license.
  • When should we mail our marriage license application to the Superior Court?
    I recommend one month before you plan to pick up your license. The Court only needs to have your application for eight days prior to issuing you the license but let us be on the safe side.
  • It’s just the two of us. Will you provide witnesses?
  • What if it rains?
    You’ll get married when it stops, under the rainbow.
  • What should we wear?
    Anything you want.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How far in advance do we need to book you?
    As soon as you know your wedding date.
  • How can we have chairs at our wedding?
    Chairs are not recommended because they separate the guests from the bride & groom, they interfere with the fabulous photographs, they are not comfortable for your guests and they are an unnecessary impact on our delicate National Park environment.
  • Can we have a champagne toast on our wedding beach?
    The National Park does not allow glass (champagne bottles) on beaches. You can bring your Champagne and open it in the palm trees and serve it in plastic cups and drink it on the beach.
  • Should we rent a jeep?
    Yes! You will have the freedom to explore and really enjoy St. John. In the long run, you will save money by not having to take taxis everywhere.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Does Anne Marie prefer phone calls or emails?
    Anne Marie Porter prefers speaking with you about something as important and personal as your wedding or marriage vow renewal service. One phone call can accomplish more than 10 emails.
  • What does your $500 package include?
    All pre-wedding consultations. Phone Anne Marie as often as you like. She pays for the calls.
    Wedding ceremony at the place and time of your choice.
    2 Certified copies of License and Certificate of marriage.
    Personalized guidance by a 34 year resident of St. John who really cares.
  • What is the difference between what you do and what a wedding planner does?
    I put you directly in touch with people who will be so important on your wedding day (photographer, videographer, florist, musician, caterer, etc, etc.) so you can speak to them and their fees are not inflated, as they are by if booked by a wedding planner.
  • What should we do now?Apply for your marriage license.

Virgin Island wedding infomation

Information on USVI Weddings


The fee of $500 includes unlimited consultations, a marriage ceremony at the time and place of your choice, and two certified copies of the certificate of marriage.

Frequently Asked Questions

I look forward to your questions on getting married on St John, VI